Thursday, May 18, 2006

Maybe it's something in the water

I'm a modern woman. At least I think I am. I have short, spikey hair with a stripe in front. I have an i-pod. I listen to reasonably hip music (Dave Matthews is sort of hip, right?). I knit in public, which is VERY hip these days. I drink soy milk (in my lattes). I can program a VCR. OK, that last one is a big fat lie. I don't like knick-knacks (aside from the "shabby-chic" vintage tea things I collect).

So how come I have this unstoppable desire, yen, hankering, longing even, to knit........a doily. An old-fashined, made-out-of crochet-cotton, put-it-on-your-grandma's-table doily. Heck, I don't even really know what crochet cotton is. I don't crochet, nor do I often knit with cotton yarn. I just know that I want to use my size 0 needles for something other than socks.

I've been feeling this way for a while now, so I recently did what I always do when I want to try something new; I bought some books. Doily pattern books. And I've been looking through them. I'm pretty sure I want to start with this one.

I may choose this as my Amazing Lace teammate. Or maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and decide on this instead.

Of course, everyone who knows me knows I will almost certainly cast on both. And finish neither. Sigh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I hear you about the irresistable pull of doilies. I have a stack of 1950's women's magazines with all kinds of beautiful knitted doily patterns (and the most frightening recipes EVER!) Maybe one day I will make one.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Donyale said...

Thats WEIRD! I went and bought some crocheting thread the other day - to start a crocheted thingey to put over Milk Jugs! HELLO? WHERE DID THAT COME FROM! I also will start and not finish - we were always spookily linked that way weren't we.....

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home