Saturday, May 06, 2006

Well, here are my answers, Secret Pal. As I mentioned in my email to you, I do plan to start blogging regularly again soon. Thanks for being my Secret Pal!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love to knit with merino wool, wool silk blends, and of course any sock yarn. I’m not really into the novelty yarns, but they do have their place in those twirly Stitch Diva scarves. I like texture (cables, lace, etc.) so I usually use smooth yarns.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
You mean besides "strewn all over the house?" I keep my straights in a tall box and my circs are in a big plastic bag. I also have a zippered fishing tackle thingy with a bunch of big plastic sleeves that I plan to put my circs in one of these days.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting for about 2.5 years. I consider myself an intermediate knitter, but I’m not afraid to try patterns that are labeled for experienced knitters. I feel I’ve learned a lot in the short time I’ve been at this obsession.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love the earthy/herbal scents: rosemary, sage, thyme, patchouli, ylang-ylang, musk, vanilla, clove. I also like lavender a lot, and grapefruit. I don’t really care for flowery scents or non-citrus fruity stuff.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?I like candy. I like all sorts of candy. I am not a candy snob (although I do like really good chocolates). I like caramel and licorice very much, too. And English toffee. And fruit slices. And Violet Crumble.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?I don’t spin, but I do cross-stitch. I used to cross-stitch a lot, until I got obsessed with knitting. I plan to learn to crochet one of these days.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)Right now I’m listening to a lot of Dixie Chicks, Dave Matthews, Tom Petty, Elvis Costello. I also like Sheryl Crow and other women like her. I like Norah Jones. I like show tunes, too. My computer plays MP3’s and I have an ipod that I listen to at the gym.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?I love sage green, dark green, purples, purple/blues, black, grey. The only colors I really don’t wear are yellow and orange. Not a real neon sort of gal for tops and such, but I love wild, bright sock yarns in any colors.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?I have a husband (Dave), 2 dogs (Cooper and Jake) and two rats (Fred and George). No kids.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?I wear all of those things. Sometimes all at once. Actually, that’s a lie; I don’t have any ponchos. But I’m not opposed to them. I do like shrugs and plan to make some for myself once my sock and lace knitting obsession dies down a bit.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?Socks and lace shawls. Which is strange since I love going bearfoot and don’t actually wear my shawls much.

13. What are you knitting right now?Socks and lace shawls. To be more specific, I have 4 pair of socks on the needles (a plain pair, and 3 with lace). I’m also working on the border of the Shetland Tea Shawl and the body of the Feather and Fan Shawl, both from A Gathering of Lace. I’m also working on a stole of my own design (probably going to be a disaster), using patterns from Sharon Miller’s Heirloom Knitting.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Of course!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?I like addi turbo circs. I just haven’t found others with joins I can live with. I do have some Inox circs that I use for socks (addis are so expensive and I work on lots of socks at a time, on 2 circs instead of double-points). But I use straights if I’m making something without a lot of stitches, just to avoid the join.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?Yes, I have both.

17. How did you learn to knit?I took a class at my LYS, Rumplestiltskin.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?I started a sweater right when I learned to knit, and it’s still not done (almost tho). So about 2.5 years old. I’m most definitely a process knitter; I enjoy the journey and don’t get all that stressed about finishing.

19. What is your favorite holiday?Thanksgiving and Christmas. They’re for family and I especially love our Christmas traditions.

20. Is there anything that you collect?Antique/old tea things.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?Fiddlesticks: Tina and the Lacy Lattice Stole. I’ve been eyeing those patterns for a while.
I subscribe to Interweave, Knitters and Vogue.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?I’d like to learn to knit and purl backwards.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes. I wear a size 8.5 shoe.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
January 25th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home