Monday, June 26, 2006

Amazing Lace Challenge #3

It is #3 right? The poetry one? O.K., here's my entry, in haiku and prose.

Start to Finish

When starting a new project, you will likely be told: "Gauge is X stitches and Y rows per 4"". The only way to find out if your sweater, tank, etc. will fit is to...swatch. (There, I said the horrible word. Bleah. Ick.) This is why I love knitting lace shawls. Often, there is a notation that "Gauge is not really important for this project". How I love those words!

8 stitches per inch
We don't need no stinking swatch!
My socks fit Hagrid


Once we choose our pattern and yarn, it's time to cast on...

Circular cast on
Emily Ocker mocks me
Sigh and try again


We face many obstacles in our journey from start to finish. Sometimes people just don't understand...

Did you make dinner?
Poke him with my pointy sticks!
What row was I on?


Sometimes we have to take measures to prevent our lace from coming under attack from those who would do it harm...

Cindi is knitting
I would like to chew that yarn
Curse this sturdy cage


And once in a great while, those who love us will understand, and help us on our journey...

Going on a trip
"Did you pack enough knitting?"
How I love this man

At long last, after all obstacles have been met, with perhaps several trips to the frog pond, and much cursing and gnashing of teeth, you'll come to the end of your journey, and then begin another.

Weave in the last end
Bitter sweet is the finish
Cast on another



So enjoy the race, everyone, and remember, it's the journey that matters. Oh, who are they kidding: there's nothing like a finished project!

5 Comments:

Blogger laurie in maine said...

I've just been bitten on the arse by guage!! (new knitter since 12/05)

I've only done felted bags & socks so far and my motto has been: SWATCHING? There's no swatching in basesall ... er ... knitting! (wrong movie :)

Fearing SecondSockSickness I've been knitting both socks at about the same time using a second skein of yarn. Didn't notice WRONG dye lot/different guage big time. Will need to make another pair just like them & switch.

Enjoyed your challenge entry ;)

1:30 AM  
Blogger Fríða said...

simply beautiful, this shawl!
my best from Iceland
Frida

1:41 AM  
Blogger Beth C said...

Wonderful! :) A journey through knitting in haiku! Well done, well done!!!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Donyale said...

WOW - I am not worthy

8:53 PM  
Blogger KarenK said...

Just saw your blog on the Mystery Stole #2 knitalong - what a beautiful Shetland Tea Shawl! Congratulations. Liked the funny haiku.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home